SUMMARY OF PROGRAM & POSITION
Mainstay Life Services specializes in providing residential services and supports to people diagnosed with Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). PWS is a complex genetic condition characterized by an insatiable appetite, weak muscle tone, behavioral health issues and mild to moderate intellectual impairment. Mainstay’s mission is to provide each person with the specialized supports he or she needs to achieve maximum independence within a safe, supportive and therapeutic environment.
The Nutrition Student Intern will evaluate current menus and diets followed by the people we support with Prader-Willi Syndrome. The intern will interview the people being supported regarding their likes and dislikes. The Intern will be aware of best practices in providing a structured diet plan and develop a nutrition plan that can be utilized with people living residentially with Mainstay Life Services.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES, TASKS AND ACTIVITIES
- Spend time being with the person. Become familiar with their likes and dislikes, routines, and preferences. Incorporate meals that will allow for activities away from the home and include preferences expressed by the person
- Provide seasonal options within the menus
- Understand Prader-Willi Syndrome and the dietary needs of people with PWS
- Develop menus broken down into caloric values that include recipes, with specific measurements and Grocery Lists
- Provide training to Community Living Specialists on how to portion and prepare meals.
- Utilize training resources available to provide recorded training modules related to diet/measurements/fitness
- Conduct yourself according to the highest ethical standards and promote an environment of trust that supports right relationships.
- Other duties, as related to scope of internship.
- Currently enrolled in a nutrition program at an accredited college or university
- Must be at least eighteen years of age
- Reliable transportation